San Diego Car Accident Lawyer
Car Accidents in California
If you have been injured in a car accident, you may qualify to seek financial compensation. It is important to contact an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible to review your case. The Law Office of Michelle Gershen has years of experience helping injured victims recover what they’ve lost. We can help you get out of financial debt and pay for medical bills, car damage, and more when you call our San Diego car accident attorney.
Car accidents are one of the leading causes of injury in the United States – more than 6 million accidents occur each year, injuring 3 million individuals ranging from drivers to pedestrians and bicyclists. Perhaps no other state is known for congested traffic and dangerous driving conditions than California. In 2018, California had the second-highest number of fatal crashes at 3,259, just barely below Texas, who has 3,305 fatalities. Though uncontrollable factors can sometimes contribute to accidents, like bad weather, the reality is that nearly 90% of all car accidents are caused by human error.
Who’s At Fault After a Car Accident in California?
In California, the negligent party who caused the accident is usually held responsible for paying damages through an insurance carrier. However, many accidents are caused by more than one party, or at least, an insurance company may claim that the injured party contributed fault for actions such as driving above the speed limit or failing to put on a turn signal. In these cases, injured parties still have an option to recover compensation under the “comparative fault” law. According to this law, the percentage of responsibility the injured party is found to be responsible for will also be deducted from their overall compensation awarded to them. For example, if you are found to be 10% at fault for an accident, your total compensation awarded to you by the court will also be reduced by the same amount, 10%.
What Compensation Are You Entitled to After a car Accident?
After a car accident, your primary goal should be to focus on recovering. Having an experienced car accident attorney can help guide you though the legal process and ease the burden of getting the compensation you need to recover. We can help you with facing the stress of mounting medical bills, difficult insurance companies who refuse to pay, and time out of work that you cannot afford. If you have been injured, we can help guide you to receiving the maximum benefit for expenses such as:
- Emergency medical services
- Ongoing medical expenses related to your injury
- Rehabilitation costs
- Costs associated with a permanent disability
- Lost wages
- Damaged property
- Wrongful death
Common Causes of Accidents
There are countless factors that can contribute to a car accident, from a bicyclist making a sudden turn into a car lane to drivers failing to yield to oncoming traffic before attempting a left turn. However, as a law firm we’ve handled numerous cases and have seen a few common causes of car accidents.
Car accidents are most often caused by:
- Impaired driving: Drunk driving is one of the most common causes of collisions, as it places not only the driver in danger, but also their passengers and everyone around them on the road. Driving under the influence can severely reduce driver reaction times, meaning by the time they think to brake before slowed traffic or some other hazard, it’s already too late. They’re also known to doze off at the wheel and drift over lanes, and sometimes onto opposing traffic.
- Reckless driving: Reckless driving is driving that is considered illegal or risky. Drivers who fail to adhere to traffic safety laws pose a risk to themselves and others. Failing to stop completely at a stop sign, failing to signal or check one’s blind spots before merging, and tailgating are all considered forms of reckless driving that can cause collisions and injuries.
- Distracted driving: Phones and social media are an important part of our daily lives, meaning that unfortunately, it’s fairly common for drivers to text or take calls when they should be focused on the road. Distracted driving can prevent drivers from reacting to hazards in time and can cause catastrophic injuries.
- Speeding: Driving above the speed limit is extremely dangerous and can result in serious injuries or fatalities in an accident. Speeding reduces a driver’s reaction times to things like stopped or slowed traffic, road hazards like an animal running into the street, and sharp turns. Speeding can result in a driver losing control of their vehicle and spinning out, colliding with other vehicles around them.
Begin the recovery process today by calling our San Diego car accident lawyer at (619) 768-0848. It’s beneficial to hire a law firm soon after your accident to gather the evidence you need before it’s gone.
As a law firm, it’s our goal to be a voice for the injured and secure the justice they deserve in the form of financial compensation. Injuries from car accidents can be expensive to treat, and many individuals fall into debt as a result of accruing medical bills and property damage. We’re able to use our resources to investigate your accident and determine liability so you have a better shot at recovering damages.
Through our advocacy, we’ve been able to recover:
- Property damage
- Lost wages and earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Aftercare, including physical therapy and medical equipment
- Medical expenses, including costs of ambulance rides, hospital stays, surgeries, medications, and more
Having handled countless cases like yours before, we can inform you of your options and guide you through the complex legal system towards a better future – one in which you’re financially able to recover from your injuries and return to your life.
After an injury, every moment matters. Michelle is here and ready to help you fight for the compensation you deserve.